Thursday, August 10, 2017

25 Things

Hello readers near and far!

I'm coming at you live from a beautiful, yet undisclosable location.  I am staying at a place that is nothing short of paradise in my opinion. For some reason there's nothing like staying somewhere else for a fresh dose of inspiration and for a chance to recalibrate priorities. This summer has been running as quickly as dry sand through open fingers. When my birthday rolls around, (August 9, hollaaa!!) that is my cue that this warm season isn't getting any longer and I ought to enjoy and savor it for all its worth.

Since my birthday was yesterday I thought it would be fun to think of 25 things I learned while I was 25.  My day was kind of quiet yesterday (just how this introvert likes it) which gave me ample time to reflect on the past year.

1. God answers the smallest, most small scaled prayers as well as the big prayers.  I've seen this happen so many times this past year.

2. Acne doesn't go away in the late teens.

3. Running remains the number one way to destress, get out complicated thoughts, sort through emotions, enjoy scenery and listen to new music all while getting a workout.

4.  You can't control how people will react to situations.  You can only control how you respond.

5. It is always best to completely listen to what someone is saying or asking, process it, and then speak.

6. Routine is great, but it should never hinder you from seeing what else world has to offer.

7. Spontaneous day trips are more than fun getaways.  By taking time for a quick trip away; you are essentially looking at the world through a different lens and will return to your life with a piece of your travels in your heart forever.

8. It is always worth it to drive two hours for hot doughnuts and one hour for fresh cookies just because.

9.  Friendships are amazing and a breath of fresh air.  Long time friends, new friends, church friends and work friends all have a special place in my heart.

10. Struggle loves isolation and breeds in the lie that one is all alone.  Finding someone who has dealt with the same issues brings light to the darkness, proves no one is alone and provides accountability and companionship.

11. There is no price tag for peace of mind.

12. Embrace the qualities that make you unlike anyone else.  At the end of the day it's how you were made.  The world needs your uniqueness.  It was created for a reason, and deserves to be celebrated.  Life is too short to dull your sparkle, just for the sake of fitting in.

13.  Before drawing to any rash, fast conclusions; it is always best to hear out the whole story and then react appropriately.

14.  People will let you down.  Friends, family, church people, health care workers, boyfriends, girlfriends, educators, employees and employers.  I will let people down.  People are humans thus fallible.  There is a fine balance of learning to trust, yet not putting all your faith in one person no matter how awesome they are. Only God is 100% faithful and deserving of our 100% trust.

15.  Ice cream can turn into the perfect meal anytime of day.  Pairing it with coffee is a magical combination.

16. Really when you least expect it, a really great guy will come around.

17.  Smiling, positivity and being on time will always go far.

18. It's good to have big, wild dreams as well as practical tasks to conquer daily.

19.  Education is forever and knowledge is power.  This fall I will be attending Eastern Mennonite University to pursue my Bachelors of Science in Nursing.

20. Stretching is so good for your body (especially as it ages.)

21. Having to let go or  making it known you need help is not a sign of weakness, but rather a sign of strength.

22. A hot shower with some good smelling soap has almost the same effect as a run in terms of feeling refreshed.

23. Having less clothes and "stuff" allow for clearer thinking a greater creativity with making outfits.

24. Instead of holding onto them, getting rid of clothes that once fit (or look cool, but don't fit well)  is very refreshing.  I used to like to hold onto items for nostalgia, my mom liked it,  or maybe by some off chance I'd be a size 0 again.  However, I think those day are far over and I'm happy with a more streamlined wardrobe.

25.  Accepting correction is a sign of maturity and willingness to grow.  Taking responsibility shows true womanhood/ manhood.  However don't let ANYONE undermine you or try to define your worth. This world is full of weak, insecure people who feel better by putting others down.  Do what you can to keep those people out of your life.  Keep your back straight and head high.  You're unique, special and here for a reason.

Well, thats a wrap.  And just like that I'm 26.  I have so much more to learn and look forward to continuing sharing thoughts through this medium.  If you have any questions, want to chat or hang out; hit me up!  I hope you are able to savor the sweetness and warmth the rest of the summer has to offer.



One of the highlights of being 25 was going to NYC multiple times.  Here's some of my favorite pics.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of good stuff here, Em!! Just read it to gpa...He agrees!!

    ReplyDelete