Friday, December 10, 2010

OZ quest complete

OZ quest was intense!  The past four days were all about preparation for worse case scenarios that can occur during the outreach phase of DTS.  It was a time of team building, trust forming and growing closer to God.  The first night we gathered to cross the line of commitment to the challenge. Everyone crossed the line promising to commit to the challenge 100%  Then we learned the rules and made consequences.

Rule for OZ Quest:
  • No team break. - we couldn't be more than 1.5 meters from each other at all times.  Punishment was 15 jumping jacks per team break.
  • No bad attitude. -punishment was a public apology, what was learned. an encouraging word for everyone and 5 fist pumps.
  • No left behinds- If our backpacks weren't in the tent they had to be 1.5 meters away at all times, unless someone was watching them.  Consequence was 15 push ups per item left behind for 1.5 meters.
  • Be on time- this was timed to the second. consequence was 15 crunches per 30 seconds late.

We had between 5-10 minutes to eat and cleanup meals, so manners went out the window first day :) there was also no silverware.  We cooked all our dinners over a fire.  (which would have been more fun if it didn't rain.) 

At night we all (17 people) slept in one tent.  It was a big tent, but we were crammed like sardines.  Our sleeping bags were drenched. I didn't care because of all the activity we were doing, sleeping on a rock looked appealing.  On the last night we were woken up twice in the middle of the night. The first time we had talk to someone who wanted to hear the gospel, and share our testimonies.  The second time was more intense.  At 3:30 AM there was a tribal war so we had to pack up everything in three minutes and escape. That was crazy.  I'll never forget a tent full of 17 people trying to gather everything in such a short amount of time.  I had to do push ups as a punishment for leaving my shoes behind in all that mess.  Our nights were anything but restful, but we were told that both those instances occurred during outreach.

Everything was rationed. toilet paper, kerosene, matches, water, peanut butter etc.. We had to figure out how to spread out supplies to last four days.

The first morning I was up at 3:30 and walked in the pouring rain to the first destination.  We made our way to the first check point and got our bags inspected.  We had a strict list on what was allowed. I opened my my bag to find my Bible and journal  soaked from the rain. (we weren't allowed any coverings or wrappers for anything.) I just wanted to just run away and cry right there, but I stopped because I couldn't be 1.5 meters away from a team member haha.  Thankfully they took them somewhere to dry, but I was without my Bible for all that time.  The first day was spent on a ten hour hike through the bush.  we saw  wallabys and lots of other Australian wild life, which was awesome.  Each team was given a compass and some vague directions.  Needless to say,  none of us were raised cub scouts so  we got lost and an hour and a half behind.  We prayed about it and God led us to this place and it ended up being a short cut, so we made up for the time we lost!  We did another hike the last day as well, but this time it was a competition between the two teams.  The hiking was such a fun adventure.  I will never forget climbing this huge hill with a gorgeous view and a pb&j as a reward.  

Many of our challenges were to prepare 30 minute sermons on the spot, and we never knew when.  We would be the congregation for the other team and visa versa. We would critique and complement each others. Sometimes we had to prepare a church service for prisoners, a normal congregation or a group of children ages 5-12.  We would have 15 minutes to prepare.  It was so good to practice this on OZ Quest and be prepared now.

Every evening we had devotions led by our leaders.  My favorite was the first night.  The topic was on servant hood and we washed each other's feet while we prayed for each other.  Our feet were probably like the disciple's when Jesus washed them.  It really puts a different perspective on it when your feet are hurting, gross and someone washes them, and you do the same for them.  God taught me a lot on servant hood that night that carried on into the week.

The same night my shoes were taken away from the whole tribal war fiasco, we woke up a 5:00 am to do morning exercises. This was the worst part for me.  It wasn't time to do consequences, so it wasn't possible for me to get shoes.  A few other girls and I were had to continue on and run on the gravel rocks.  We ran about a mile. Our feet already killed and the run on gravel made it ten times worse. 

When oz quest wrapped up we had a closing ceremony.  From there we were blind folded and told to find our bags with our eyes closed.  Then with our eyes still closed everyone was led up to this pavilion.  Our noses smelled it first.  The most delicious chicken barbecue.  A real meal after four days.  Opening my eyes I saw the best looking spread and all the YWAM staff there to greet us.  It was a great way to end Oz quest!

Now I am back to the comforts of everyday life.  Although the intention for oz quest is outreach prep, I cant help but think of all the people whose daily life revolves around such conditions.Walking far to get water,  peeing behind a tree, sleeping in a soaking wet tent, running without shoes, eating rice with no utensils, no showers, and running in fear of tribal war are daily existence for some people.  There is no way I should pat myself on the back for completing such a challenge.  Instead, I think more people should experience it.  How incredibly easy is it to get used to the great comfort and luxury we live in and forget what the rest of the world lives like.  I'm not trying to be a downer here, I'm guilty of it too.  In normal life, I think if excuses not to run in my nice quality sneakers.  When your the one that actually has to do it, you think of things a little differently.  This is real life my friends.  I think we should all think of how our brothers and sisters in Christ live around the world. 

OZ Quest taught me so much.  I learned so much about each person on my outreach team. Having to be with in arms reach constantly, I know them all SO much better :) I learned to trust them more.  Most importantly, I learned to act out of my spirit, rather then my body or soul.  Believe me, there were times it wasn't easy.  But if I acted out of my flesh, I would have been doing a lot of public apologies and fist pumps :)

2 Corinthians 12: 9-10
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why for Christ sake I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

James 1: 2-3
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds.  Because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."

1 comment:

  1. Wow Emily!! That sounds so intense! How awesome it is that you are learning to rely on God more and more in your weakness! It sounds like such a great experience yet very difficult. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete