Saturday, December 4, 2010

the quest of OZ

Tonight we abandon the comfort of civilized life and head out on a four day wilderness excursion.  This test of physical, mental and emotional  endurance is to prepare us for worse case scenarios that can occur during outreach.  The leaders are secretive about what exactly will happen, so there is not a whole lot to expect, except a lot of challenges.

We can only back the essentials and even they are numbered, no jewelry can be worn and no food can be packed. All we have to wash is a bar of soap. I'm not sure what its like to sleep with out a pillow, but I will know soon!  We will be with our outreach teams the whole time to form unity and team building. 

As I think about what's ahead, I know these conditions may not be spectacular.  I do know however, that it's great we are doing this to not only prepare us for outreach, but because challenges are good.  Challenges are hard at the time, but they are designed for growth, maturity and to learn something about yourself.  When I look back, I wouldn't trade the challenges I've been through because they made me the person I am.  In fact, how are we expected to grow if we don't encounter them once in a while?

So cheers to a four day, rainy, Australian adventure.  I pray I come back a little stronger and smarter then when I started.

1 comment: