Saturday, October 23, 2010

LOVE is spelled GIVE

Every week during the lecture phase, a speaker comes in and talks about a certain theme of the week.  This week the speaker was Chris Twinn.  The topic was the Character and Nature of God.  I learned so much about God and who he is.  Questions and confusion I had about the Bible and God were answered. He said in the beginning of the week "I don't want what I'm teaching to be information, but revelation."  You know he's a good speaker when its 9:30 pm and everyone wants to stay in class asking questions.  I'll write out a few of the revelations  I had this week.
  • Truth is higher than fact
  • I never understood how God is love, when he wiped out all those tribes in the Old Testament.  What was going on in the land was some pretty hardcore stuff. It was God's attempt to save his people and land. Chris said it like this: "Because I love my wife and kids I will do anything to protect them.  If anyone tried to hurt them, I would do anything to make sure my family was safe." Even if I don't understand why God did everything, from now on I will say "God, even though I don't understand why this happened, I'm believe in my heart, you're a God of love."
  • Isaiah 54:14- God doesn't make businesses go bad, people get cancer or make us do things we don't want just to teach us a lesson.  That is NOT his character .
  • Elevate truth from fact.  If I am sick, I shouldn't publicize it right away. There is so much power in our words. Pray in faith you will be healed.  Because "By his stripes we are healed." Don't pull the Word of God down to our experiences such as "I know so and so had this, got sick and died." I know. Much easier said than done. Matthew 12:37. Words contain faith or fear.  Words are so powerful!
  • About to say something negative or demeaning about someone?  It is best to be silent.
  • Sometimes Christians go around searching for signs and wonders others are doing.  What we don't realize is we can be doing the same things.
  • He emphasized living a life of excellence and quality.   Being on time and a trustworthy person are important. 
  • Instead of focusing on past sins (which is detrimental and gets absolutely nowhere) Take them, bind them up and cast them down. It's the enemies way of getting you to think youre not good enough.  Meditate on the Word, Holy Spirit and pray if feelings of inadequacy arise. I am already forgiven, it is a matter of forgiving myself.
  • Faith is the substance we can not see; it's the substance by which we can change things. Unforgivness in my heart will stop faith. God is always working plan A.
  •  A lot of time people look for the spectacular, but God wants to speak in the little things of life so its important to be attentive to that.
  • We are manifestations of Jesus on Earth. 
  • I will always have my needs met and be taken care of because He loves me.
  • Read the bible before Email and seek His face before Facebook.  Big challenge for me!  I'm learning it's not because God doesn't like them, but it's important to have a mind on Christ before anything else.
Key Bible verses for me this week: John 10:10, Isaiah 54:14, 2 Corinthians 4:18, 2 Corinthians 5:7  Hebrews 11:3,  Matthew 12:37, (about words)Galatians 6:7, Galatians 5  Romans 1:16, John 4:24, 1 John 4.

This morning I led intercession.  YWAM Gold Coast has students from all corners of the globe.  I had it on my heart to pray for our cities. We split up in groups and gave 3 prayer points about the city, state or providence we're from.  Then we prayed for a different one than our own.  Afterward we all came together and prayed Korean style for a different city that was mentioned.  Not only was it a great way to learn more about where people come from, but ways we can lift up the places they live in prayer.

Today was also the last day of Angels and Mortals. I made my John (the leader and my Mortal) a rap.  Since I was leading intercession, I surprised him with it. I had a few girls come up and do the chorus.  It was a good laugh!  I think he liked it because he kept talking about it :) Today I got gummy bears and the sweetest card from my angel, who I found out was Amanda.  I was so blessed this week by her notes and gifts!

This afternoon it was a beautiful day so we spent the day doing beach outreach.  It's real low key.  We set up volleyball and soccer nets, have free water, and invite people to come play. It the opportunity arises, we talk about our faith or ask if we can pray for them. I love how laid back and chill the beach culture is here. If we ask people to play they are like"oh yeah! that sounds fun!"  It's pretty neat.

I am looking forward to a nice, relaxing weekend.  Thank you for the prayers for me leading intercession.  It went very well! Love and blessings,
Emily


   

1 comment:

  1. God is speaking the same thing to me about Email and Facebook. I'm going to move my "Quiet Time stuff" to the little desk in my bedroom--away from the computer. I'll be thinking of you, as well!! XOXXO

    ReplyDelete